Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I would prefer the widest sound presence with the 77" tv. The extra drivers and cabinet size will do that and the placement of those extra drivers should help with the left/right pull i have do to distance limitations with seating.

I'm not sure you want a wider presence. A center is supposed to anchor sound to the center of the screen.
Actually IMO, the sound should anchored to the screen, not specifically the 'centre' of the screen. Presently when someone is located on the left of the screen, the sound comes too much from the middle of the screen, which isn't correct. You could almost say it's like watching a dubbed Chinese movie with a person talking on the left but the sound coming from somewhere displaced.

In your case, based on your room dimensions and picture, if you are (and it appears you are) sitting farther back than i am with better placement of the mains up front, then you will get a much better sound from the centre area in relation to the screen. If i could sit back about another 3 feet, it would improve. Because our seats are closer to the mains, and i cannot setup a true sweet spot for a seated position, there are only two ways to better anchor the centre sound; by using the AVR menu options for changing the soundstage (tried this with the old Onkyo but it was clunky) or getting a wider centre.

I have tried smaller speakers and a larger one laid on its side for testing. The wider centre channel makes more sense because of the speaker placement/seating limitation.

When we did some blind testing of two speakers years back, i put the sound into mono mode and had the two speakers side by side about 15' away from the seated position. The person in the seat could not tell if the speaker playing was the one on the left or the right. Sitting farther back causes that effect but the reverse is true the closer you sit.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/10/21 10:36 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."