Originally Posted by rrlev
Originally Posted by chesseroo
Actually IMO, the sound should anchored to the screen, not specifically the 'centre' of the screen. Presently when someone is located on the left of the screen, the sound comes too much from the middle of the screen, which isn't correct.
I'm sitting a bit further back than I want to at the moment because of the temporary furniture. I'll be setting things up a bit closer in the future. In any case ...

I did do a bit of testing when considering where MLP should be. Screen wise I wanted to be in the the 6' to 8' range. Sound wise even at 6' the sound was fairly even across the screen (although a bit too close for two channel). I'm wondering if your running the center a bit too hot or if something else is off.

I had the opposite happen when I was testing the surround setup in the HT. My speakers were setup for a 150" screen while I was watch the picture on a 27" monitor ... that was very weird. The action on the right and left was way outside where visually it should have been coming from. Oh ... I had a VP180 under the monitor ... talk about a wide center smile

It's all in the speaker positioning.
Seats are 10' from the speakers but the chairs are so wide they span about 7' with almost 2' of padded arms in the middle (the actual sweet stereo imaging spot is where the chair arms are!). Hence, when sitting in the left hand chair, you are staring directly forward to the left speaker with the right speaker way off to the right.
Did a quick text layout.
Think this kind of triangle setup which ideally would be more of an isoceles shape from mains to the sweet spot for a seated position (i can provide pics later; was going to wait until i swapped out all the speakers to repost the new setup in the gallery)

_______<----6 feet b/w mains---->
--------------------WALL----------------------
Spkr (L)__*******Screen Size*******_Spkr (R)
_____________***VP150***
__________********VP180**********
[
[
[ 10 feet back
...[ .....................}..................{ ......................}
...[ .....................}..................{ ......................}
...[ .....................}chair arms { ......................}
...[ .....Chair .......}chair arms { .....Chair .......}
-----------Wall----------------------------------------

Note how the screen size to centre channel size varies dramatically.
Also note how the seated spots for left and right are very off the actual centred location for a sweet spot which in this room is impossible to get a solid stereo image at either seated position.
The back wall with the chairs is about 14 feet from the TV but it is a an angled downward wall, plus the back chair width and cushion depth leaves the user at 10 feet from the mains with no possible movement back any farther.
The main speakers are about 10" out from the opposing wall with the TV so no additional distance backward is possible.
Configurations for moving the mains closer together at most cuts the distance to 5 feet apart from 6 which has been tried and the stereo image gets even smaller....moving the mains apart any farther worsens the left/right pull).
The chairs cannot move to the left or right more than an inch or two.
There is no more room to adjust speakers or chairs beyond a few inches at most.

Many years ago i tried all these variations and where the mains sit presently is about the best i was able to get to minimize the left/right pull. This is why having the wide front soundstage becomes necessary. It was why i auditioned the LFR at the Axiom factory specifically.

The room sounds great. Some of the best DVD-A recordings are quite stellar even though at the two listening positions you have a bit of left/right pull. Adding some back surrounds will only increase the surround effects (and technically i could go as far as Atmos and add heights and ceilings but with the room all finished at this point, plus the extra cost, i'm not going to bother and am stopping at a 7.2 system).

I'm just limited unfortunately due to the room size and the size of our lounge chairs. If i had a row of 3 or 4 home theatre chairs instead of our double size lounges, at least one chair would have the actual sweet spot.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."