Originally Posted By: mdrew
I have now gotten into the habit of decanting any “young” bottle of wine I open, with more time sitting before drinking for cabs.

This is interesting since most bottles that are recommended for 'breathing' are older reds, not younger ones.

Quote:
I am not as skeptical as Chess in regards to this gadget

You know, i have these spare ice cubes that some Eskimo sold me...

Quote:
It’s a well known, and proven fact

Oh, now them's just the taunting words aren't they?

Quote:
Many tasting rooms decant bottles; poor it back into the bottle and let it sit over night for tasting the following day.

Well many people do many weird things in this world. I have a buddy who swears that putting his audio cables on little plastic risers perfectly syncs the sound, but only if they are elevated for exactly 10.2 hours. The same guy bought a wine 'ager' which is apparently a wine coaster with a magnet on the bottom.
The idea is to place the bottle on the coaster for say an hour and it 'ages' the wine a full day/month/year.

Quote:
When visiting tasting rooms it’s pretty important that you know what the tasting room does in this regards if they don’t actually open the bottle in front of you.

My concern is about what they put into the bottles. I've never been keen on that chemical, formaldehyde flavour.

All incredibly humourous wit aside, i AM going to give the aeration concept a solid personal testing for the sake of self and science.
It should be grueling on me i'm sure.

The tests should include pours from a decanter and another pour using an aeration unit (i'll buy it for a friend for his upcoming bday).
All tastes will be done blind of course and i'll round up at least three people for the tastes including two who have worked over their palates for a number of years now.

So to get the parameters set up, which wine should change significantly with aeration that i can get locally?
Maybe a common but tasty US cab? Aussie cab?

Second, how long should the aeration in the decanter be?

Opinions welcome.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."