In reply to:

ANYONE can make great wine for $40 a bottle.
(Well, now that I read that line, I realize that it is an absolute LIE! There is WAY too much pure CRAP out there for large amounts of $$$s!)

Oh absolutely.
I tried ZD Wines chardonnay at the wine festival. It was $50 a bottle. I pegged it at $16 before i knew the price.
You gotta be out of your mind. Fifty bucks for that?
In reply to:

It has been a kick for me to see this Wine Thread take off in the last week, but I have been very, very reticient in posting to it because this is my livelihood and business, and is something that I (finallY!!!) know as much about as some of the other topics that are covered here. I do not want to post any opinions that I might have that might dampen anyone's enthusiasm for something that they like and enjoy!

Feh.
Have you seen the beer thread lately? Or for that matter, how many views it has had?
Very popular topics in the booze category. I can't imagine why.
I think if anyone has a more intimate knowledge of any area of expertise, they should share it. For one i would appreciate alot of good wine leads and opinions. There are few around our place who enjoy it as much as myself, my wife and another friend, so short of joining a local wine club we welcome new ideas.
The conversation about the wine coolers gave me some things to consider and some first hand feedback from owners of various brands. VERY helpul indeed.
Now if only we could rename this thread to "Wine thread" just like the more generic "beer thread" to make finding it easier.

And what about these pinot noirs? I've tried some just recently and i'm not sure what to think. Extremely complex flavours. First thought off my head was 'burnt coffee'. I certainly think the hype is just that, a bit too much hype.
I was far more impressed with the New Zealand sauvignon blancs. Now those were truly fascinating. The quality and type of earth makes such a huge difference in the character flavour of the grape.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."