Well my test will have to wait.
I've decided, that with all the feedback i've seen in a variety of areas including some who have attempted at least a partly controlled blind test of sorts, as well as those who i just trust to attempt an objective assessment over the faith filled rantings of enthusiasts, that this Venturi thing is worth buying to test out, if not at least for its entertainment value during a wine evening.

As such, i'm going to buy it for a fellow oenophile, a friend that normally swaps presents with us at xmas. I will pick one up sometime this year and later this fall, possibly even for fun at New Year's, it will get tested, thoroughly.
I'm very much looking forward [bias] to having a glass of wine opened up by this little gadget, increased in its aeration in decreased time thus providing for a different if not better enjoyment of the wine [bias].

IF my neighbor across the street comes out to chat again around spring time, i will see about procuring his Vinturi sooner to give the tests a go and then hopefully vindicate my present idea about buying it as a gift.

Again i very much look forward to this blind test.

The basic structure to begin with is as follows:
glass of fresh
glass of venturi from the fresh bottle
glass of aged in decanter 2h
glass of blanks (e.g., one person may have all 3 glasses of the same type, all people tasting will not know what combination, if any, of these forms they will receive and as such, could look like complete fools describing a glass of something that is identical to the other two).
The major difficulty?
If we don't spit, the tasters will be inebriated sufficiently by round three and tasting nothing but 'some kind of wine'.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/23/08 05:19 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."