I thought we should take the discussion from the pop thread to new one......

Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I was reading that an "inactive" man should target 13 calories per pound of weight to maintain where they are at. An "active" man should target 15 calories per pound. Now, I know that those are just estimates, but it is interesting to see how much someone can actually eat an not gain weight. Of course this assumes they aren't eating a ton of salt or other water retaining substance, and probably dozens of other factors, but it is interesting.

I am 6'1", and according to the BMI thing, I should weigh between 144-189. Holy crap! I've got a ways to go. I weigh 30 pounds more than a guy that I work with who is 10 years younger than me, but he looks in worse shape than I do.

Well, time for some good breakfast and more water...

I fall under the same BMI index as you and I haven't weighed less than 189 since I was 16yrs old. BMI is only a guide and if you are a larger frame you can usually add 10-20 lbs to the index and still be healthy. The bigger concern is percentage of fat, I would shoot for less than 20%, ideally around 10%, lowest I have been was 208 and 8% while I was playing football about 17years of age till I was 22 when I gave up the football career at 217. My best was at 40years of age and 207lb and 11% BF a couple of years ago and I am now back up to 235lbs and I haven't bothered checking my BF as I know it is way too high\:\(.

I use a Tanita BF bathroom scale now and it has been checked to be with in 2% of BF when used correctly. I would highly recommend anyone seriously trying to loose weight to get one as it helps you realize that the weight gains are either muscle or fat.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70