Update to old updates.
Found a new house wine (the kind we buy as a case). Long ago we retired the Lindemans Bin65 as the "mother in law is in town" brand of wine. That's not to say our relatives don't appreciate a good bottle of wine, but more often than not those who visit our home are not as keen on the palate and tend to think "all wines taste the same".
As such, i figure they wouldn't care if we served a $10 vs. a $50 bottle of chardonnay but my pocketbook is better off keeping the grander priced grapes for ourselves.

Now, with that in mind, we still would like to have a wine in the cellar that is an enjoyable one. The Bin65 is one of the world's most sold chardonnays for a reason. It is simple. It is cheap. And most importantly, it doesn't make you gag.

Sometime ago we just got tired of having it around and wanted to find a second chardonnay to stock in the cellar as a house wine (we have 6 house wines at the moment, cab sav, shiraz, zin, riesling, 2 chards and are thinking of adding 2 more). Earlier this year while attending the wine festival we tried several. One that i recall was quite nice given the time in the evening where my taste buds were shot, my eyes a bit blurry and i could still remember it was very very decent.
We cracked a bottle, more sober, this week and i was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was.

The candidate? (Amie take note)

Little Black Dress chardonnay.
Tasting notes

A Californian offering that was simple, subtle, certainly not overdone and relatively cheap. About $2 a bottle more than the Bin65 but well worth the extra price.

It was quite nice with our smoked dill salmon in bearnaise sauce and very refreshing after the Hickory bbq pork ribs and Peter Lehmann's Clancy the following night.
I was impressed twice in two days and rather astonished the bottle lasted after day one.
[color:#CC0000][/color]

Last edited by chesseroo; 08/06/08 03:47 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."