Crappity crap crap crap.,..

I had a long post and accidentally closed the tab in Firefox and lost it.

Ugh.

Soundproofing... I spent probably no more than $600 more for extra studs, drywall, clips, hat channel, insulation, green glue, and the custom ordered door and sill plate. VERY cheap considering the enormous impact it had on soundproofing the room. I can play things pretty loud without disrupting my wife watching Dancing With the Stars.

Here is a video that I've shared before. Just watch the first few seconds of it. This was from a year ago. I had the movie Oblivion playing even louder than I normally watch movies, and start the video with the door shut. Yes, you can still here the video outside the room, but compared to when I open the door, it is a huge improvement.

My wife wanted french doors too. There are several problem with that. They aren't soundproofed at all, they rattle, they are pricey, and they let light in. In talking to my wife, she said, "just put a curtain over the window." Well, what is the point of having the glass door if you just cover it up. After going with the solid core steel exterior door, she is OK with it now because of the above mentioned ability to watch DWTS without me disrupting her.

As for the heat issue, I haven't quite figured it out. I know that I need to get air out of the room, so a few weeks ago when I finally did my equipment rack, I put in a 250mm fan above it to blow air out of the room. This *should* work when the A/C is running as it gives the A/C a place to flow towards, however the weather has been too nice to really have the A/C on. It won't help much in winter since there is no source of cool air.

I think that my final plan will be to change out the fan for a direct air return for even more exhaust pull from the room, then in summer when the A/C is running, it will work even better than my little fan that is just blowing into the basement ceiling joists. I then will need to be able to set up a powered fan setup to pull air from outside in the winter. That would give me my source of cool air for those months and I would just close the HVAC vents and put small covers over them to seal them better. Then for the hot and cold times of the year I will have cooling to the room and something to pull the hot air out. Spring and fall will become the issue at that point, but having something working the rest of the year is a big improvement. I really should get going on figuring the winter cooling out before winter is actually here.

Farewell - June 4, 2020