Originally Posted By Andrew
Originally Posted By mapatton
Originally Posted By Wid
Anyone I've talked to that uses a pellet smoker really likes them. I never ate anything from one but they get good reviews. You have to watch the cost of the fuel, some report it can get expensive.

I have a pellet grill/smoker (Green Mountain) and I love it. Goes low enough to smoke, and high enough to grill. The food that comes off of it is wonderful!

Which model GM do you have Mark? I have been looking into options for a dedicated smoker for some time now. I have used a standard Weber kettle for many years with great success, but I keep thinking I should get something "serious"! The problem is what should I buy? I have friends that swear by the simple WSM, others love their Big Green Eggs, and then there are the pellet guys. They tend to brag about not having to babysit them, but everyone one of them that I know personally (all have Traegers) have suffered from controller failure at some point! Yikes! I don't want to plunk down a pile of $$$ only to have the electronics give up the ghost in a year or two. Also, I am not sure of the availability of smoking pellets in Canada...I am sure they are available, but they could be very expensive. Any input is appreciated!

I have the Daniel Boone. Have had it for 6 years now. The advantage of a pellet smoker (at least GMG) over something ala BGE, is the fact you can go high on heat for grilling if desired. I can easily go anywhere from 150* F to 500* F. I would google smoker pellets for locations in CA to purchase them.

I have found pellet costs over the course to be slightly more expensive than using propane.

Last edited by mapatton; 07/10/15 12:40 PM.

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.