Originally Posted By fredk
Originally Posted By chesseroo
And i may as well follow that up with this:

I am going to be looking for a temp auto controller for those times where i need to change the temps on the BGE for multiple item cooking. For single item, set temp and let run, not a problem.

That's why I went straight to the pellet grill. You get all that stuff with the base unit. A BGE would have been between 2 and 3 times the price and then I'd want to bolt on a PID.

And admittedly three years ago, i knew the BGE was more expensive than other kamado bbqs. I seriously considered the Big Steel Keg for about $400 less, but the only thing that turned me off was its inability to back down temperature as quickly as the BGE. That is to say, if you cooked potatoes at 425F then wanted to move the temp down to 325F for a roast, it took alot longer to get the temp to drop.
The good part is that it demonstrated its ability to hold heat, but it holds it so well that adjusting down takes time. The BGE also holds heat well, but it can turn down much quicker after adjusting.
That was the ONLY thing keeping me from getting the Big Steel Keg instead.
Otherwise with $400 to spare, i could have bought all these temp control trimmings at the time.

I had contemplated something like a pellet smoker back then, but they hadn't come as far as they have now. A low heat smoker for just indirect cooking wasn't as appealing.
I want to sear steaks and hamburgers. We've also done pizzas at 700F on the BGE.
How hot can the pellets go?
Can the modern ones do direct searing without IR?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."