Originally Posted By michael_d
I need to follow up with the F-I-L and make sure I am remembering the temp. He doesn't use a temp probe, but just pokes whatever it is he's grilling to tell if it's done or not.

It was about five pounds. Choice cut.

I'll continue to experiment. I'll try 250 next time. I'm smoking hole chickens this next weekend. I love this smoker. It's pretty freaking cool.

From my limited experience, I suspect his internal temp is higher than 165. At 165 your connective tissue would not be broken down yet. That has been my experience with the pork butts I've done. Only the last one that I pulled at 195 was fully melt in your mouth tender.

I would not want to do a lean cut to that temperature though. My last pork tenderloin was done to 165 and, while it was still moist, it was on the edge. It is much better at 155 (well, whatever 155 really is on my temp probe).

It's amazing to me that different cuts need to be cooked so differently to get them tender and tasty. I did not realize the chemistry that is involved in cooking meats with a lot of connective tissue.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!