Originally Posted By fredk
I've no clue about a pizza peel. Never had one before.

The peel is used to move and remove pizzas to and from the cooking appliance. They are long, wide and sometimes have lengthy handles to keep one from burning their hands too close to a 700F pizza oven. You can also keep the pizza stone in the oven for the next incoming pizza (assuming you make more than one at a time) as we always took the stone out with the pizza on top and afterward sliding the pizza off and onto a cutting board.

So far the poll results are telling me to go in one solid direction.

Quote:
I can tell you Pizza on the GMG turns out great! My pizza stone does not fit, so I just laid the pizza directly on the grill and cranked it to 400.
There is one thing above all that I desire in a pizza. Crispy crust, and this one was crispy in spades.

We've done pizza in the oven before in this same way, but the toppings don't come out as nice on the lower temp (can get overcooked) and the dough takes longer to cook sometimes the point of being more dried out. To get freshest toppings with a crispy crust but not dried out in the middle crust, you have to ratchet up the temp (or so i've read from various chef sites).
e.g.
http://www.thekitchn.com/want-the-best-homemade-pizza-you-have-to-turn-up-the-heat-163038

We went to a coal fired pizza place in town not long ago.
Takes about 30s per pizza to cook!
Crispy outside without being the 'break your teeth' kind of crunch, but soft inner crust that was moist.
No 'dip' required for the crusts with this pizza!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."