So, the smoke went really well. The two sauces were appreciated. Most people absolutely loved the adult mustard sauce, but both got complements, ie: way better than store bought.

I was up at shortly before 5 and the two shoulders were on at 5:15am. I could not bring myself to put the temp all the way up to 250 so I settled on a compromise of 240. The shoulders took the full 12 hours to cook.

Only 8 people ended up coming, so there was lots of left over meat. I know what I'm having for supper tonight.

Chess. Thanks for the PHD dissertation on bacteria and meats. I did not know trichinosis was killed by freezing. I tend to agree with you about what is posted on public forums. In a lawsuit-happy world, I suspect much of it is there as a legal disclaimer, but that is lost on many people.

Rick. I'm glad that PID is working out for you. I suspect getting the programming right for a pid and how it controls the fan and temperature overshoot is not that simple. My unit fluctuates by up to 5 degrees either side of the set point, but is mostly within +/- 2 degrees.

Mr. GodPants. I'm glad I could inject a little meaning into your life.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!