Originally Posted By Mojo
Andrew or Ian, can you reveal a bit more info:

- At 1:20 into the video, I spied an inverted dust cap on the woofer. At other parts of the video, I saw the regular dust cap. I'm excited at the prospect of an inverted dust cap because, if properly accounted into the design, we can expect greater linearity without a sacrifice in bass extension.

- At 1:38, I spied cast baskets. Is this for real?

- At 2:34, we see the chrome grill. At 1:05 and 3:03, we see the black grill. The drivers are clearly visible through the black grill but apparently not the chrome grill. Although I like the chrome grill, visibility of the drivers is more important to me than grill color. Based on the video, I would go with the black grill. Can you comment on my observations?

- Is the grill removable? Like Vlad says, the dominant aesthetic feature of the industrial design is the grill BUT my Axioms sound distinctly better to me and others with the grill removed. I don't know if that will be the case with the AxiomAir or if the industrial design relies on the grill for structural integrity but I had to ask.

- How much dynamic headroom can we expect? The Kickstarter page suggests 5 x 150W. Is this for real? If so, is this headroom available from AC and battery power?

I don't know how others feel about this. I am not opposed to swapping out hardware if there are problems provided it's relatively easy to do so and the packaging is not compromised in the retrofit. If it's not easy, I'd prefer a delay in shipping to ensure robustness.

Hi Mojo,

The dust cap on the woofers is our conventional convex dust cap...an inverted dust cap buys you nothing in terms of off-axis performance or linearity, in fact it hinders it.

Sorry...that shot was an early prototype...the production woofers will be made with our high-gauge stamped baskets.

I find that your observation is correct, even though it is kind of counterintuitive. You would think that the black drivers would be more visible with a white grille, but they stand out the most with the black grille. The chrome grille is somewhere in between.

The grille is removable for servicing only, so we don't recommend it. It's not difficult to do, but there is a high likelihood that you would damage or kink the grille in the process of swapping it out. Keep in mind that the tops CAN be changed out anytime you'd like. They are held on with magnets.

Dynamic headroom is approximately 4-5 times the max continuous power, and it's available from either power source.

Thanks,

Andrew