Not sure that much has changed since my last post....

As far as DTS:X and Atmos, I've already started down that path to some degree.

Last year I swapped out my (4) QS8s with (4) on-wall M3s since Atmos really wants direct mono-pole surround and overhead speakers.

I still have the QS8s, but they are in boxes with my VP150. Kind of crazy when I think about how many speakers and subs I have. I could have a nice 7.1 setup in the theater, and still a pretty killer 5.1 setup somewhere else in the house.

But no. Both subs are staying in the theater, and I just need to get off my butt and do something with the QS8s and VP150. Maybe fund the 4 overhead speakers that will be needed??? I would love to find a way to use on-wall M3s for a smooth transitioning soundfield, but would need to be creative in mounting them to the ceiling. Using in-ceiling M3s makes me cringe a little bit to put such large holes in my soundproofed ceiling (the single surface of the theater with the absolute most soundproofing as our bedroom is right above the theater). Then again, a number of people are making DIY ceiling speakers that are considered "full range" to meet the Atmos specs, but small enough (and cheap enough) to surface mount and not break the bank.

I keep signing up to win a Onkyo TX-NR1030 at HomeTheaterForum and AVS, but so far have just one an Atmos blu-ray. That would get me even further down the road. It would need a separate 2 channel amp to get to the 7.2.4 setup that I would like, and may not get DTS:X, so maybe just a quick resale and wait.

Right now, I am excited to go to CEDIA this fall again, where I am sure that there will be a lot of DTS:X demos, and instead of spending about 8 hours on the show floor, I plan to have even more time for demos and such. Then when products start to flow for 2016, I will look more into a receiver upgrade. I would love to get 11 powered "channels" into a single receiver for a "reasonable" price. I know, if I start getting amps, then it gets a lot more flexible down the road... Just the upfront cost is a bit steep.

So I am excited about DTS:X. Hopefully I will be as blown away by the demos at CEDIA 2015 as I was about the Atmos demos last year.

Farewell - June 4, 2020