Originally Posted By oakvillematt
HVLP is rather simple if you get the consistency of the paint right and spray at the right speed and distance.. OK.. it takes some practice.

1. the HVLP came with what looks like a small cup with a hole in the bottom. (Hope you didn't throw it out.) Use that with a stop watch to get the right consistency for your paint. It is really the only way to get it right.

2. if when spraying you can see your finish pooling and blowing around the surface, then you are way too close.

3. if you are getting a speckle or orange peel like coverage on the surface, then you are spraying too fast and too far away.

take some more photo's of the process. this is very interesting,

Yeah, the last time I used it was a couple of years ago when I was painting a large piece of furniture and it turned out fine, but I don't think that I was doing it quite right because it took a lot longer than it should with a sprayer (based off of videos I saw online). I will give it another shot today, if my wife stops giving me work to do. Ugh. I feel like taking a vacation day next week when she and the girls are back in school just to get going on this stuff. (They all are home for spring break this last week and yet somehow they don't have enough time to get their own stuff done and it prevents me from doing what I need to do...)

Farewell - June 4, 2020