Originally Posted By oakvillematt
HVLP is rather simple if you get the consistency of the paint right and spray at the right speed and distance.. OK.. it takes some practice.

1. the HVLP came with what looks like a small cup with a hole in the bottom. (Hope you didn't throw it out.) Use that with a stop watch to get the right consistency for your paint. It is really the only way to get it right.

2. if when spraying you can see your finish pooling and blowing around the surface, then you are way too close.

3. if you are getting a speckle or orange peel like coverage on the surface, then you are spraying too fast and too far away.

take some more photo's of the process. this is very interesting,

So I was looking at how to thin the paint. It is the same latex that we have on our ceiling. A flat paint called "Fudge Truffle". Anyway, it says on the can and online to thin just with water. 1/2 cup of water per gallon. Well, I have a 28.5 oz size that I bought recently to do some touch up, so I had to do some math since that isn't a pint or quart or anything.

Looks like it is .22 of a gallon, or 3.54 cups. So very odd amounts to try to do a water conversion.

However, if I just take 2 cups of the paint, then I just need .0625 of a cup (or 1/16 cup, or 1 Tablespoon) of water.

Doesn't seem like much water, but we will see.

There was no cup included to time the thickness of the paint. It just says that if it flows easily through the included paint strainer, that it should be good.

I would have thought that it would have at least come with a paint viscosity stick or something.

So anyway, I've got my quick and dirty hangers ready for hanging the speakers while painting, and the spray gun is clean and ready to go, but I have more on my "honey do" list before we have a surprise birthday party for someone tonight. I feel like the only time that I am not doing other things and can focus on my projects is in the middle of the night. I hope the neighbors don't get annoyed with my compressor running tonight while I spray. LOL

I better get a heater going in the garage soon too in order to get the temps up a little bit. Otherwise it is going to take forever to dry.

Farewell - June 4, 2020