bigwill, when i taught, about 15 yrs ago, we had the kids (6th graders) brushing their teeth at their seats w/out tooth paste, starting their day with OJ, which we teachers had to serve, and provided hot lunches to those less fortunate. one of the kids asked me if i had a snowmobile. i said i could not afford one. he then said it was easy, spend all your money on the skidoo, then i could apply for aid and food stamps."that's what we did" he said. we also had title 1 programs so we could try to teach 6th grades how to read Dick & Jane. well after several years of this bull, i asked the principal why we spent so much on those who will never read above a 3rd grade level, and why didn't we spend some of that money making the achievers over achievers(sp). can't, it's govt money.
so, like you, i have no problem helping those who really need help. but, it frosts my a$$ to provide for those who are the 2nd and 3rd generation of low life moochers who know the ins and outs better that i; time for more workfare and less welfare. don't get me started!
dan