Craig - I agree with everyone else.....you are basically right in your points. However, I think that there is still something missing there. Yes, the existing system is unfair to many of us. I am one of those that is taxed more than others and probably will not see any social security in my time. But, the difference here is that I am still allowed basic rights and protections in relation to my spouse that 'married' gays are not. Yes, the long-term solution is to roll back and/or modify the existing laws to remove some of the tax-related benefits, etc. However, there will always be some components of the law relating to spousal rights that will remain, such as the not having to testify against spouse thing, etc. This being the case, even if we have changed and removed all of the fiscal benefits associated w/ being married, we will still have a segment of society being denied rights and protections that others enjoy.

Keep something in mind......In the end, it's easy for us to stand here and say that the solution is to modify existing laws and that more laws just exhacerbates the problem.....it's easy for us because we're not the one's being discriminated against.