Craig - Breath deeply. First of all, I reread my post and I realize now that one could infer that I was calling you ignorant, fearful and hateful. Truthfully, that was not my intention. It's a fuzzy line, I agree, but I truly was really talking in a historical context. My intention was only to draw a similarity between what I perceived to be your argument and those made in the past in darker times.

So, for this I do apologize. It was not remotely my intention to offend you like that.

Now, to address some of your points.

I was not saying that it was ever illegal for blacks to marry. I was asking if they should be allowed to. They're a minority who have suffered greatly under policies allowed by our government in the past. Using the same logic, one could spew some racist sentiments that they would be more inclined to cheat the system (THIS IS JUST TO MAKE MY POINT - NOT MY THOUGHTS), so should we allow the government to distcriminate against them because of some perceived benefit to white people? You may not want to draw this comparison, but it's the same tune we're hearing here.

In your obvious frustration with my comments, you blasted me for missing some of your original points. To be sure, I went back through your original text and I think that it is a bit less clear than you might have thought. I did see that you clarified that the dictionary is only a reflection of the times, but you followed it by a seemingly harshly emphasized statement that the definition in the book doesn't mention same-sex marriage. This alone led me to believe that your point was the standard conservative stance that the definition of marriage in the dictionary somehow should be treated as a dictate to not allow same-sex marriage. Then, your statements following that talked of a position that government should not be involved in marriage in any way. Based on those two sentances on their own, it's easy to see how I inferred that your point was to assert that this issue should remain under the church's domain and not the governments....again, one could infer that this was another religious-based argument for leaving marriage as it is framed in the bible and not even entertaining the idea of modification.

Now, onto the latter part of your post and your subsequent posts....

After reading your post and the subsequent posts, I think I am beginning to realize that your position is that this problem can be solved by revamping the existing laws. To this I partially agree with you. Your proposed positions are a good step forward. However, you are missing the point here.

All of those things will remedy some of the issues and concerns, but they don't address the core problem. Our existing laws discriminate against gay people. No matter how you sugar-coat it, those arguing for leaving marriage laws as they are are advocating discrimination. So, yes, you are right, I truly hope that no one ever gives me a valid, cogent, and persuasive argument against giving gays the same rights as heteros. However, I will never stick my head in the sand to avoid listening to anyone's arguments. I never blindly hold any belief without constantly reevaluating and modifying as I learn more and gain more insight. Therefore, your assertion that I don't want to hear opposing views and will not allow my positions to be swayed are off the mark.

In closing, Craig, let me say something without trying to sound too condescending....you should try and slow down in your posts. Sometimes you jump around too quickly, which leaves out some details and leaves the door open for misinterpretation.

Oh yah....to address your question...yes, I wanted to make sure that it was answered by more than one person ....I also agree with PM about this, one's race, gender, and sexual orientation should be inconsequential to the rule of law. Government is here to protect the rights of all of it's citizens, regarless of these differences.

BigWill - I speak of gay marriage only in the sense of government and the law. I do not care about this issue in the context of religion, as it is not pertinent to the issue of law. Whether or not the church's accept gay marriage is between the church and it's parishoners (spelling?). I am arguing solely based upon the legal benefits and standing of the present status of "married".

Craig - Again, I apologize for ruffling feathers here. I respect everyone's opinions here....on both sides of any issue (except those that support Kerry ) If I truly wanted to call you an ignorant hateful idiot, I would have said so directly in my post. I may live in the south, but I'm from New England where we tell it like it is.

Peace Brother.