Jorge writes:

In reply to:

The idea that this is a religous issue is ludicrous. These terrorists have as much to do with Islam as Bose does with good sound. I'm privileged to have a number of Muslims in my circle of friends. They were horrified with 9/11 and watch what goes on around the world "in the name of Islam" with dismay. They don't evangelize, put down women, or perform clitorectomies on their daughters. The idea that Islam is America's enemy is held by too many people in this country. This isn't a religous fight. We need to be extremely careful not to portray these terrorists as being the face of Islam. Nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm not saying there aren't many wonderful human beings who are Muslim. Without doubt, there are. However, it is clear that 'moderates' do not speak for Saudi Arabia which exports the Wahabi Fundamentalist Party Line, one which does espouse terror and hatred. Your friends may not have celebrated the success of the 9/11 attacks, but can you deny the great celebrations which spilled into the streets of so many Muslim countries? Do you think it was someone other than Jihadists who attacked the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and tried to fly a plane into our Capitol or White House on 9/11, or who blew up the USS Cole, or the Khobar Towers, or our embassies in Africa, or who beheaded Daniel Pearl, Nick Berg, the 12 Nepalese and so many others? Why is there a Jihad war all over the world? Jihad against Hindu and Sikh in Kashmir and India, Jihad against Buddhist in Thailand and Indonesia, Jihad against Christian in Indonesia, Philippines - all over the world, Jihad against Jews - all over the world. Where is the outcry from Muslims at this relentless murder and warfare? The outcry I've heard is one which attempts to blame these acts on others - "Muslims couldn't do that, suicide is prohibited by Islam," but at the same time "Martyrdom" is not. We have heard a great cry, "don't blame us," but no acknowledgment of responsibility for a culture at war with the rest of the world.

Now, maybe at the end of the day, this war, this Jihad war being waged against the West will have to be fought by moderates, like your friends, against the Jihadists, a civil war. Who do you think would win? Where do you think the center of gravity of Islam rests? With moderates or Jihadists? We certainly haven't heard much from the moderates, and what we have heard appears to have been for Western consumption - that is, a message of peace directed toward our media, a message of war at home.

Now, your friends have not been disfigured by clitorectomies, but do you deny that Islamic society is characterized by a brutal oppression of women, a systematic denial of human rights to women, or that some such societies do require that girls be mutilated by clitorectomies?

Last edited by 2x6spds; 09/01/04 05:02 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.