I think the high cost of health care and prescription drugs is a crucial issue.

Pharmaceutical companies are out of control. They fund vacations/perks/etc. for doctors and surgeons to entice them into prescribing their drugs. To me, it is not ethical to practice such behavior.

Secondly, many of the drugs on the market are chemical versions of something that exist naturally in organic form (plants, etc.). The drugs could be made from the organic versions for far less than the chemical version....but the big companies would rather make a chemical version for two reasons. 1. They can't patent a plant. 2. They can make a chemical version and claim they spent millions on R&D and justify the hefty price for the drug.

Look at the cost of AIDS medications or any other medication that is crucial to saving life (chemo drugs, etc.) It seems the more life threatening the disease, the more expensive the drugs. It is this way because people will do whatever it takes to stay alive and the pharmeceutical companies exploit that fact. I mean, either pay what they require or die. It just isn't right.

My Father just had a stint put in one of his arteries that was partially blocked. The operation is common place these days...go in through the thigh and feed the stint to the blockage. The surgery lasted 45 minutes and the hospital stay was overnight and part of the next day. The bill was over $30,000. The largest portion was attributed to the cardiologist (surgeon fees & 'consultation fees'). I understand cardiologists work hectic schedules, went to school for 8 or more years, etc.; but I don't think they should be paid 15k for roughly an hours work and maybe an hour of consultation. No doubt, some of the high cost is attributed to the malpractice insurance the cardiologist has to pay for....which is another facet that needs tob e dealt with.

While I won't dispute that the US has the best medical technology and talent in the world, it is not reason enough to justify the high cost of health care.

All it takes is one bad accident, and you might find yourself financially burdened the rest of your life. I guess there is always bankruptcy for extreme situations; but that also indirectly raises the cost of healthcare as well.