In reply to:

Pharmaceutical companies are out of control. They fund vacations/perks/etc. for doctors and surgeons to entice them into prescribing their drugs. To me, it is not ethical to practice such behavior.

This is false. There are no vacations or other expensive perks any more. There used to be, but they are a thing of the past. Occasionally they will offer a meal to accompany a sales presentation, but why shouldn't they? If I am going to commit some of my precious free time to them, why shouldn't I be compensated with a meal?

We have the strongest pharmaceurical industry in the world. Like it or not, the reason for that is that there is competition in the marketplace. The quest for profit in this case benefits us all. I hate it when people get all righteous about pharmaceutical companies engaging in activities that are acceptable from any other for profit corporation. Why is it unethical for pharmaceutical companies to offer promotional perks to customers? Because they make a necessary product? Hogwash! I would say that food, clothing, and shelter are much more important factors for preservation of life, but nobody complains about the promotional behaviors of Archer-Daniels-Midland. You think your congressman doesn't get perks?

It costs hendreds of millions of dollars to bring a drug to market, and a pharmaceutical company has only 17 years from the discovery of the compound (not 17 years on the market) in whichh to recoup their investment.

The reason pharmaceuticals cost more than natural compounds is one of law, not greed. In order to be a "drug", that is to claim the compound is effective in treating a given condition, studies must be done to prove safety and efficacy. These studies cost literally hundreds of millions of dollars. Who in their right mind would do hundreds of millions of dollars of research on a compound that is not patentable?

Dietary supplements may be cheaper than pharmaceuticals, but they are not regulated by any agency. They cannot claim to treat any condition, therefore they usually are marketed as substances which can "maintain (insert orgen here) health". No studies need to be done. Side effects are unknown. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safe.

As to drugs for serious conditions costing more, well what's your life worth? If anything in this life should be expensive, it's a lifesaving drug. Why do people think nothing of spending $30,000 for a car, and balk at spending $1000 for a lifesaving drug? If you are dying and need an expensive drug, who should pay for it other than you? Why is it my responsibility to pay for someone else's lifesaving drug?

The answer is to scrap the FDA and let the marketplace regulate the cost of pharmaceuticals. Any unsafe drugs would be quickly identified and litigated out of existence (loser pays, of course to avoid frivoulous suits).

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"