I'll read your link in a minute, but I think the comparison between the Iraq war and the US Civil War is plenty valid (not that it matters, but if one wanted to, one could argue that the CSA was in fact another country after the secession - my ancestors felt that way, I'm sure).
Hugely unpopular war; unpopular President; push for war not easily understood by the masses; the liberation of oppressed peoples; bitter re-election campaigns mid-war; hostile media; rivals and former subordinates criticizing tactics, strategy, etc... in public; both Presidents were widely lampooned because of their physical appearance (Lincoln was frequently referred to in simian terms); both Presidents were derided for their perceived lack of intelligence; "Bush's War" now, "Lincoln's War" then.

The casualties??? I remember the media geniuses and their retired military analysts (including Clark on CNN) predicting 10-20,000 US casualties prior to the Afghan War and like 20-50,000 prior to the Iraq War. Our military has performed unbelievably well and, historically speaking, casualties have been very light.

I can't believe that the Democrats' manufactured candidate - the political equivalent of Brittany Spears - is polling neck and neck with a real President by criticizing the motivation and prosecution of this war. When people buy Brittany's CDs I can laugh, but you guys buying into all this anti-American drivel has me sickened.