In reply to:

By the way, you seem pretty angry about this. How do you think that gay man feels who can't stay overnight in the hospital with his partner of 20 years?

I think this is wrong, and could be fixed without modifying the definition of marraige one iota. There are many things that cause me no grief at all regarding gay rights. I'll cover a few:

I support their right not to be denied a job because they are gay.

I support their right to go anywhere, anytime any time that they wish without having to be afraid of being assaulted because they are gay. I do NOT support "hate crimes" legislation. If someone murders a straight person, and someone else murders a gay person, I say fry 'em both. The penalty for murder, assault, etc. should be uniform regardless of the victim's demographic status.

I support their right to name any person to whom they wish to leave their belongings to when they die, and for that named person to have the same zero tax status as a man / woman arrangement.

I support their right to name any person who they wish to share power of attorney with for all medical, legal, and financial matters.

I simply do not support their wish to destroy religious institutions that have existed for thousands of years. Craig said it, our greedy governemt involved itself, and now marraige is being destroyed because it is now a pseudo government institution.

As to being angry, I'm not. Frustrated, yes. There is no hate in my heart for gay people. I simply do not believe that it is healthy, moral, or normal. If you do not toe the line that being gay is just the way it is, and everything in the world should be changed to accomodate it, then you get blasted as being a hateful, fearful, arrogant, sob. You don't think that I should be even a little frustrated?
In reply to:

In the end, you can stand on the pulpit, pound your fists, and scream that gays are abhorent...whatever you want to do...it's your right....but you still can't justify discriminating against them. They are citizens of the United States and deserve the same protections that you and I enjoy

You pound your pulpit, and I'll pound mine. Not allowing someone to participate in a religious ceremony because they do not meet the criteria that have been used by those institutions for centuries is NOT discrimnation. I would have loved to have been Barmitzvad. It looks fun. But guess what? I'm not Jewish, so I am not allowed to participate. Discrimination? Yes, but I have no choice but to live with it. The only difference is that the government hasn't set up a framework of taxes based on whether you've been Barmitzvad or not. If it had, then I would be having the exact same argument as those who support gay marraige. Discrimination is a part of life. Drive a red car not a blue one - you have discriminated. Took the train instead of the bus? - you have discriminated. Have milk instead of OJ this morning? - you have discriminated. Discrimination is a part of life. We can not remove it. Marriage is not a right. It is a religous ceremony. By the way. I do not believe in "marraiges" performed by judges, or any other legal entity. To me men and women who are NOT religous should be subject to the same "rules" as gay people. They should have a way to set up all of the legal aspects of sharing life, legal matters, and wealth that would cover both (with the obvious addition of parental matters as well). See? I just lumped all of you athiest heterosexual married people in with gay people on the marraige issue. Wearing 3 flame suits now...

I do support marraiges performed by ship Captains, and any other person in high authority when in times of dire crisis.

Oh.. and I do not see the World as black and white. There is grey. There are just too many shades of grey for us to deal with each one individually. Logically, you need to take degree into consideration. Look at your computer. Everything in it down to the most miniscule circuit in it is either "on" or "off". Binary. 2 choices. Yet when you combine millions of yes/no, on/off, true/false possibilities, you find that all of the options are covered. So yes, every issue, no matter how grey, can be broken down into it's smallest components, and therefore into a series of black and white issues.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.