Likewise I totally reject the notion that Roger and I will never be married.

Here's the complete list of all 1049 rights and responsiblities that I'm not entitled to.

Here's a real world example for you. Roger and I just bought a townhouse as you all probably know. The place is in his and his parents name. If Roger were to die, I'd be out on the street. His parents would take the place over, and I'd be out. One of the advantages of owning rather than renting is that you can right off the interest you pay on your mortage on your taxes. Since the place is in Roger's name, only HE can do that. We'll be paying much more in interest than he'll be able to write off. I on the other hand make considerably more money than Roger. If we'd been able to file jointly, we could have saved a lot more money on taxes this year. Roger's health plan at work sucks. Mine is quite good. Even though my company offers "domestic partner" benefits, if I sign Roger up for insurance, the premium would come out of my check POST tax, as opposed to my bosses wife - her premium gets taken out pre-tax.

I could go on...I know you asked for non-financial issues...but right now I'm getting screwed financially. You'll have to read the .pdf if you want to. There's plenty there.