I'm gonna nitpick here, even though I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

In reply to:

It seems that our creator (whoever or whatever that is...I don't believe in any commonly accepted concept of "God") designed us so that male and female individuals are required to produce a child for a reason. That reason is that male and female role models are necessary, or at least desirable, for proper child development.

I happen to believe in evolution -- and whether or not that evolution was influenced or set in motion by outside "powers" is immaterial. I think you're placing the cart before the horse here -- or maybe this is a chicken vs. egg thing.

I think that the "male and female role model" idea is completely dependent on the historical fact that it used to take a male and female and an act of coitus to produce a child. In this modern day of sperm donors and artificial / in vitro insemination, this is no longer the case.

In fact, because it's impossible for a gay couple to accidentally conceive, the ones who do decide to have children have gone through the lengthy thought process and are better prepared to be parents than many hetero couples who just give it the ol' college try.