I thought the Nat'l Sales Tax looked like a bad deal, but I dunno now - it can't be any worse than the current system.

Something to consider: sales taxes generally hurt economic activity. With a tax of 23% on purchases, I may be more disinclined to buy stuff. Economic activity/growth is what drives our prosperity and fills the gov'ts coffers. If people stop buying stuff the economy will contract.

Back to gay marriage and how the Democrats can appeal to AMERICAN voters again?

"Whether or not it's the best solution or not, the only feasible way for gay and lesbian couples to have the same rights as straight couples is to allow us to marry."

If a compromise such as civil unions is not acceptable to you, spiff, I think your cause is doomed. If I remember right even the voters here in California are overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriages. Further, in Europe, where the citizens are apparently all enlightened and brilliant intellectuals , a couple countries allow only civil unions, right? If it ain't flying over there, how do you expect middle America to buy into it? Such social changes tend to take place over generations, not overnight through judicial rulings.

And just a reminder: "separate, but equal, is inherently unequal", and, "the separation of church and state", both come from Supreme Court rulings and are not phrases in the Constitution. With a different Supreme Court both of these principles could disappear.

BTW, I'm sure James Madison and the rest of the Founding Fathers would not be supporters of today's ACLU.