Glass half full or half empty?

Perhaps you should see this in a different light. Instead of seeing this as a red flag, consider that the Republicans might see this as a positive that he won the election even in the environment where he had eroded his base w/ the mess in Iraq. I for one was surprised that he won. His supporters rallied, but I did fear that Iraq was going to be his downfall. Just think how much he might have pulverized Kerry had the war in Iraq been going smoother.

...just an alternative viewpoint. I think that they realize that there is a disconnect between the Republicans and the Left. However, I don't think that they have a clue how to bridge that gap. What I was elluding to before is that the Democrats have an even larger problem than trying to gain traction w/ those right of center. Their problem is the erosion that we're seeing amongst their own base. I have not stats readily available, but I believe that they are seeing some losses on all fronts (women, hispanics, blacks, etc). This I would attribute partially to their continued emphasis on the "oppressed middle/lower class" and the class warfare. Not everyone in the Democratic party is poor, downtrodden, and oppressed. Not everyone in the party is a victim waiting on the edge of their seats for the great white government savior to make their lives better. Until they get off that extreme Left tangent, I don't see them rebuilding that base or gaining any penetration outside of urban areas.