You know full well that the government is not going to stop giving marriage licenses, and tax breaks to EVERYONE. I agree, that is the best solution, but we don't live in that kind of a "perfect" world. It FAR too dificult to take away privilages that people have gotten used to. Try taking away straight couples tax breaks, and THEN watch all hell break loose! If you offered people the choice between giving gays marriage licenses, and all the benefits that come with that, OR taking away all the benefits that come with marriage licenses for everyone, I think you'll agree that gays would be getting married faster than you can say "tax break".

It boils down to the fact is straight people can get a piece of paper that says they're entitled to 100's of rights (many of which are financial - others not) that my partner and I are not, for no other reason than that we're gay. No matter how you slice it, that's not right. Any straight couple, even complete strangers can walk into a town hall and get that piece of paper, yet committed couples that have been together for decades cannot. How can you defend that without bringing God into it?