To clarify: By "Our Creator" I could mean the summation of natural laws and forces that shaped human evolution. I also believe in evolution, and evolution designed us so that it takes a male and a female to conceive a child. Do children who grow up in a household with two parents of the same sex develop the same as children who have two different sex parents? I don't know the answer to that question. I do feel that children who grow up in single parent households without a male role model suffer from this lack. They may never learn how how men are supposed to relate to women without a father to learn from. Might then the lack of a female role model handicap a child being raised by 2 men? I do not know the answer to this question, but until I do, I am less than totally comfortable with same sex couples rearing children. If it could be shown that children of same sex couples were no different that children of two sex couples, then I would have no objection to the adoption of children by gay couples. My opinion is subject to change-if there is any research that sheds light on this question, I would be happy to look at it.

In reply to:

In fact, because it's impossible for a gay couple to accidentally conceive, the ones who do decide to have children have gone through the lengthy thought process and are better prepared to be parents than many hetero couples who just give it the ol' college try.

That is a good point. I readily concede that a gay couple, motivated enough to go through the process of adopting a child, will be better parents than many women and couples that have babies the old fashioned way. You can't stop them from having babies, so I guess we shouldn't stop gay couples from having babies. I just have lingering doubts that a household without role models of both sexes is as good as one that has both.

Mark

Last edited by mhorgel; 08/06/04 04:10 AM.

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"