I have been sitting back reading this post for some time. I decided it's time to jump into the mix. Most of this talk about the healthcare system in the US is bullsh..t.

To preface, my wife and I are both professionals. I have a bachelor's degree and she has her masters. I work as a probation officer and my wife works for a major hospital in the area.

Back in February of this year, my 37 year old wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. Bam, hit like a ton of bricks. She began by getting a biopsy, followed by x-rays, bone scans and and many other tests. None cheap. Later came the first 4 rounds of chemo. 3 antinausea drugs by IV followed by 2 different chemo drugs at each treatment. Once again, not cheap. Actually more than a $1,000 per treatment. Following the 4 rounds of chemo came surgery. Total masectomy as well as samples of lymph nodes. With room, anesthesia, surgeon, etc, cost was over $20,000. After surgery comes 4 more rounds of chemo. The drug this time costs more than $5,000 per dose. Next comes reconstructive surgery. Not sure what that will cost yet. Add in costs of visits to Oncologist and Oncology surgeon as well as wigs due to hair loss and the total bill will be in excess of $100,000.

My point is this. My wife did not ask for this disease. Don't get me wrong, we are grateful for all the Dr's who are treating her, without them, I know what the outcome would be. However, the costs to us have been astronomical even with insurance. Thank goodness we do ok financially. But what about those who don't. What would their fate be.

I consider myself to be a little more liberal than conservative on most issues but not all. That being said, this country needs to do something about the healthcare system. Why should any lifesaving drug cost more than $5,000 per dose? Why should the doctor's have to get prior approval for treatments. My wife's white bloodcell count dropped so low she ended up in the emergency room. The Oncologist had to get approval to give her a drug (neurlasta) sp? to keep her count up after chemo? We as a country somehow need to make "good" medical care available to everyone, not just those who can afford it.

Sorry for the rant, but those who see a problem with healthcare for everyone, probably are not going through what my wife and I are right now. It's easy to sit back and make blanket statements about things without ever being in that situation. As I said, my wife works in the medical field and is paid very well for what she does. But if she was not, we would be in big trouble.